DarkReading

Chanhassen Dinner Theatres Cyberattack Disrupts Shows


The fallout from the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres cyberattack has forced the popular Minnesota venue to cancel additional performances of “Guys and Dolls” as management deals with both a technology crisis and a wave of illness affecting performers and guests. The disruptions have placed one of the nation’s best-known dinner theaters under pressure as crews work to restore systems, sanitize the facility, and determine when productions can safely resume. 

The cyberattack on Chanhassen Dinner Theatres surfaced during a particularly chaotic stretch for the company. According to local reports, problems first emerged late last week when a lead actor became ill during a live performance of “Guys and Dolls.” An understudy reportedly stepped in to finish the show, but by the following day, several cast members had also called in sick. Audience members later reported similar symptoms, prompting health concerns that quickly escalated into a broader operational crisis. 

The Aftermath of Chanhassen Dinner Theatres Cyberattack 

As theater officials responded to the illnesses, they also discovered a cyberattack affecting parts of the organization’s computer network. Management reportedly shut systems down in an effort to contain the breach after identifying suspicious activity. Reports indicated that the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres cyberattack included a ransom note, raising concerns about potential ransomware involvement. 

The combination of technical outages and health-related disruptions led the theater to cancel performances from May 15 through May 17. Additional cancellations followed, including Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performances of “Guys and Dolls.” Theater leaders said productions would remain paused until both the building and the organization’s digital systems could be secured. 

‘Guys and Dolls’ Operations Impacted by System Outages 

The cyberattack on Chanhassen Dinner Theatres has reportedly disrupted several critical operations, including point-of-sale systems and phone communications. Those outages complicated customer service efforts at a time when ticket holders were urgently seeking updates regarding canceled performances and possible refunds. 

Despite the technical setbacks, the theater staff has continued responding to inquiries manually while outside experts work to restore services. The venue’s online calendar still lists “Guys and Dolls” performances running through September, although management has advised patrons to monitor official communication channels for the latest updates regarding scheduling changes. 

report-ad-banner

At the same time, health officials have been investigating the illness outbreak tied to the theater. Reports indicated that symptoms appeared consistent with norovirus, a highly contagious virus commonly associated with vomiting and gastrointestinal illness. The Minnesota Department of Health has been reviewing the situation and interviewing staff members as part of its investigation. 

Tamara Kangas Erickson, president and CEO of the theater, discussed the cleaning efforts underway during the crisis. “We started fogging and disinfecting the building using standards to kill norovirus on Friday and have been re-cleansing daily,” Erickson told the Star Tribune. 

According to theater officials, the cleaning protocols were implemented following recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health. Daily disinfection efforts have continued as management evaluates when conditions will allow performers, staff, and audiences to safely return. 

Theater Works to Restore Systems and Resume Shows 

The Chanhassen Dinner Theatres cyberattack has created an additional layer of difficulty because the venue depends heavily on integrated digital systems to manage both dining and entertainment operations. As one of the largest professional dinner-theater companies in the United States, the complex relies extensively on reservations, ticketing systems, payment processing, and customer communication tools to support its productions. 

The interruption of those systems has affected far more than ticket sales alone. With phones and payment services impacted, the theater has faced challenges coordinating with guests while simultaneously managing the public-health response connected to the illnesses. 

Management said restoration efforts remain ongoing. In a statement cited by Bring Me The News, theater officials said their “team, along with outside experts, is working around the clock to safely and thoughtfully bring everything back online.” 

Patrons affected by the canceled “Guys and Dolls” performances are expected to receive direct communication regarding refunds or rescheduling options. Theater representatives said impacted ticket holders would be contacted by phone or email once systems are functioning reliably again. 

The dual crises involving illness and the cyberattack on Chanhassen Dinner Theatres highlight the growing vulnerabilities entertainment venues face when operational disruptions occur simultaneously. While live productions typically prepare for performer illnesses and audience safety concerns, cybersecurity incidents can complicate response efforts by disrupting communication channels and payment infrastructure at critical moments. 

For now, Chanhassen Dinner Theatres continues balancing cleanup operations, cybersecurity recovery, and customer communication efforts while attempting to determine when “Guys and Dolls” can safely return to the stage. Until then, theater officials are urging patrons to rely on official updates as restoration and health investigations continue. 



Source link